KDE/kdevplatform/language

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Fri Jun 20 11:51:32 UTC 2008

Hi

On Friday 20 June 2008 19:33:07 David Nolden wrote:
> Isn't that lock supposed to be a write-lock, since you're locking the smart
> mutex?

On further examination, it's ok as long as you don't try to take the duchain
lock with the smart lock held.  you can take the smart lock by itself if you
don't then request the duchain lock.  It's also safe to take the smart lock
with the duchain lock held.

Ie.

duchain lock alone (ok)
duchain lock - > smart lock (ok)
smart lock alone (ok)
smart lock -> duchain lock (deadlock)

It's becoming clearer but I need some more time to work on kate to iron out
its lack of proper locking (to fix the list reference crash which I get all
the time).

Cheers,
Hamish.