KDE/kdevplatform/shell

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jun 18 10:23:13 UTC 2008

On 18.06.08 20:02:49, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2008 19:35:40 Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > > It'll have the clear advantage that we can show per-editor status
> > > information though. :)
> >
> > "It" been what -- showing all status bar inside editor, or showing two
> > status bars.
> >
> > > It might waste some space though, but in general I like the idea,
> > > because we currently don't have a place to show such information.
> >
> > Then maybe somebody should prototype moving entire status bar inside
> > editor? I hope we're talking about a status bar in the entire editor area,
> > not a status bar per each editor window (in split view configuration)?
>
> I think they are talking about a status bar in each window, and to me it
> sounds like a big waste of space - you only care about the status of the
> editor you're working on, imho.
>
> Sounds like a WONTFIX to me, unless they really do just want it moved
> underneath the ideal central widget (one status bar, but inside the ideal
> layout, not underneath it).

I was thinking about exactly that, but haven't paid much attention to
the split-view case actually. Well, if one splits horizontally (i.e. get
top+bottom view) then again the statusbar would be "too far away". So
yes the real solution would be to show the statusbar as part of the
view, but only the currently active view should show it.

This would cause quite some irritation I guess, since it means
showing/hiding statusbars all over the place (but only in split-view
mode). I can't say that I like this :)

And it seems no other IDE does it that way, so I think it really is a
WONTFIX.

You will live to see your grandchildren.