Missing discipline with checkins

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Tue Jul 22 04:17:48 UTC 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 9:04 PM, David Nolden wrote:

> Am Montag, 21. Juli 2008 20:35:29 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
>> I'd like to ask for some more discipline with checkins. Right now
>> trunk
>> doesn't build because the duchain tests are not building. I've also
>> had\
>> to fix a couple of extra ";" that occured after macro's to even get
>> platform compiled. Note that dirk's dashboard compiles with -pedantic
>> on, so we'll be red as long as those are around.
> Yeah time to enable that -pedantic flag again, it probably got lost
> somewhere
> while creating new build-environments.
>
>> Basically one should obey the basic SVN guidelines for KDE's svn
>> repository, written down here:
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Commit_Policy
>>
>> Especially the first four points. That means everybody who wants to
>> hack
>> on KDevelop needs to
>>
>> - enable building of tests via -DKDE4_BUILD_TESTS
>> - rebuild both kdevplatform and kdevelop - completely! before any
>>  checkin
> I understand the problem, but the first is currently not an option.
> Already
> now, I spend a significant part of my development time waiting for the
> compiler to finish, and I don't want to increase it even more,
> becoming even
> less productive. Unfortunately I have to work on core parts atm that
> usually
> really trigger a lot of rebuilding.
>
> In the last case I forgot that cmake has duchain tests too, I'm
> sorry for
> that.
>
>> I don't think thats too much to ask, given that some of us have
>> really
>> limited time and would like something that at least compiles.
> I understand that. I'll try being a bit more careful when committing.
>
>> And for next years SoC if there will be one, I think we need to have
>> feature branches for the SoC projects - especially if the projects
>> work
>> on core parts.
>
> I'm not sure of that. You would just postpone problems to a later
> point, when
> you have to merge everything, and all in all you have even more
> problems.
> People would be writing code for obsolete APIs, creating even more
> code that
> needs to be ported later. Me and Hamish would have done tons of
> completely
> incompatible changes during this SOC, if I had used a branch. Above
> that,
> people want to see the whole progress, without having to compile
> another
> version of kdevelop for each development branch. Also branching with
> SVN is
> not fun, with git it would be something different.
>
> Branching does make sense where something is completely rewritten,
> and where
> [...]

Leaving the branching discussion aside, it is not acceptable from my
point of view to build without tests enabled if you are a developer.
It should be obvious as to the reasons why. If you don't want to build
the tests all the time, then perhaps you need to make use of 'make
edit_cache' to the turn the flag on and off as necessary.
--
Matt