Requiring KDE 4.2/trunk

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 10 07:11:13 UTC 2008

On 10.07.08 02:08:20, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. Juli 2008 02:02:23 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > ...and developers too, I'd guess.
> > I think for an application like kdevelop it would be a good idea not to
> > require trunk, since this causes a lot of recompiles etc. Requiring the
> > latest released version should give more time to focus on the application
> > itself. (I think koffice does it this way).
> >
> > Just my 2 cent
> > Alex
>
> Hmm well yes I also agree to this, so I think we should use #ifdefs where we
> start depending on 4.2, at least until 4.2 is in beta or something.

I _hate_ version-ifdefs, they tend to stick even when we already require
the newer version and they clutter the code in that case. But I agree
requiring trunk before its beta might be a problem for new devs and
beta-testers.

So as long as the amount of version-ifdefs is small (in my case I'm
talking about a single line) I'm ok with using ifdefs. As soon as
someone starts to put ifdefs around large code-block, or needs a lot of
them I suggest we revisit this.

You are deeply attached to your friends and acquaintances.