KDevelop 4.0 development

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Feb 25 21:53:52 UTC 2008

On 25.02.08 18:54:21, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas wrote:
> To speed up development for KDevelop 4.0 I suggest:
> - Do an alpha release to get publicity
> - Send me sceenshots (On windows and OsX platforms it looks expecially
> impresive) to put on the site.
>
> Rationale: one of the most searched terms on "our" google is:
> "KDevelop for windows"
> So I guess that by advertizing it we will get some developers.

As far as screenshots are concerned: Check my blog at
apaku.wordpress.com, the posts with shots are relatively old but there's
not that much that changed meanwhile.

About a release: I'm not sure that makes sense yet. I didn't test for 2
or 3 weeks, but the c++ support/editor was quite crashy back then. We
only have very basic project support. there are about 3 or 4 plugins
that are already quite far and thats it. Some API's still need actual
code that uses them to get done right.

I know its "release early release often", but I'd like to have an
application that we developers can use on a somewhat regular base before
giving it to a wider audience. Especially as we might have to deal with
a lot of "this is utter crap" messages and thats quite disastrous to
developers motivation most of the time.

Given that the hackathon isn't that far away, we could think about
scheduling an alpha release 2 or 3 weeks after that (after the dust
settled ;) ).

BTW: In case you've got your calendar open and have the deadlines for
KDE 4.1 in there, yeap I don't think we can make it for that release -
at least not if we do the same as the rest of KDE did for 4.0 and
personally I don't want that.

Don't you wish you had more energy... or less ambition?