PHP support

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Dec 25 22:34:15 UTC 2008

Hello KDevelop devels and merry Christmas!

I've much experience with PHP programming and just started to get into
C++/Qt/KDE development. My experiences so far were overwhelming, I want to
code more in this great language with such wonderful APIs.

And well, since I'm coming from a webdev background, what could there be
better than trying to improve PHP support in kdevelop?

Right now I've compiled kdevplatform, kdevelop and kdevelop4-extra-
plugins/php.

My questions:

1) Is there a TODO or something similar for the PHP plugin?
2) Where can I find documentation for KDevelop, the API documentation on
api.kde.org seems nonfunctional. KDevplatform works fine though. Or would I not
need any API documentation for KDevelop when extending the PHP plugin (meaning
it only implements KDevplatform interfaces)?
3) There's no PHP project template as of now, I think that could be a great
entry-point for me. Again: Where can I documentation about what to implement?
Or any other places I should look? There are only KDE-related project
templates existing, so I'm not sure whether one of those would be a good
starting point for me.
Also I'd like to introduce a Projectmanager for PHP, at least I hope that's
what I'm looking for to achieve the following:
	i) no build / clean / prune / install menus [^1]
	ii) provide proper file skeletons for the "create class/file" actions
	iii) provide proper support for the inheritance stuff in the "create class"
dialog.
	iv) there is on-the-fly syntax validation it seems (at least judging the
console spam ;-)), but it's not shown inside the view yet. Since I've written
a little linter plugin for Kwrite, I've some experience on how to visualize
this using the KTextEditor interfaces. => A job for me?

So lets stop here, I think I could come up with more, but this should be
sufficient for now.

I hope to get some feedback, esp. by Nikolaus Sams and a direction on where to
start hacking. I've already an KDE SVN account so could start pushing patches,
yet I'd prefer it if they are still reviewed (at least at the beginning, since
I'm still new to C++/Qt/KDE). This list? Or Nikolaus Sams only? Or "just
commit if it's compilable and doesn't crash"?

Again: Merry Christmas to you all, happy holidays! And a big thanks for
writing KDevelop, I'm already very impressed by its features such as the
completion, type hinting etc.

[^1]: At least for the time being. Later on I could think a "install" option
would be helpful to deploy a webapp to the server or similar.

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de