Breadcrumbs implementation - patch

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Dec 20 20:09:44 UTC 2008

On 20.12.08 20:55:45, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 18. Dezember 2008 19:52:57 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > IMHO working-sets is a bit different beast, because you usually set one up
> > and then switch between them, closing/opening files as needed. Tabs are a
> > way to easily see what you've got open right now and also to navigate among
> > these files with the mouse. But for mouse navigation a bread-crumb is
> > almost as good as tabs, it requires 1 click more in "worst case", but in
> > best case it requires a lot less clicks than tabs with their navigation
> > arrows.
> My idea is that this would be the same thing. If you don't create working-sets
> explicitly, they would define themselves. For example, if you have really
> many files open, then your working-set would only be the files in exactly the
> same directory. If you have less files open but multiple projects, your
> working-set would be all files from the current project. You could always get
> to the other working-sets in a tab-like manner.

I can't really see how that would work out, at least not while looking at
the code I work on 8 hours a day :) But I do think this could be useful in
quite some use-cases.

> > However I actually don't care anymore too much about this for me
> > personally. With kdev4 I have 1 shortcut to jump to any file, wether its
> > open or not, because opened files are grouped at the top of quick-open. All
> > I'd like to have is a proper navigation history (not sure we have that yet,
> > if we do I just need to learn to use it).
> Navigation-history exists and works, use the previous-context and next-context
> shortcuts of the context-browser. It just has one little bug that it
> sometimes messes up the order a little bit so you have to jump back+forward
> to get back.

Yeah, as I said I might just need to learn how to use it (including the
shortcuts).

You should emulate your heros, but don't carry it too far.  Especially
if they are dead.