runpreferences & kconfig question

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Dec 7 21:36:42 UTC 2008

On 07.12.08 21:50:22, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Sunday 07 December 2008 20:27:23 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 07.12.08 16:33:08, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > > 2. I don't see runconfig.kcfg anywhere -- did you commit it?
> >
> > Well, there's not much point to have it, if its not used for generating the
> > code.
>
> Then, at least the text in runconfig.h saying it's generated by kconfig_compiler
> has to be removed.

Sure.

> > > 3. Did you have any specific plan how to clean this up? I'm thinking
> > > that we can create LaunchConfigSkeleton class, derived from
> > > ProjectConfigSkeleton and specify that inside runconfig.kcfg. Any reason
> > > that would not work?
> >
> > I don't see why the launch config would need to be project-specific. Sure
> > at some point we want to have the ability of moving settings into the
> > project,
>
> Yes. Or rather, storing launch configs in project so that they are visible
> to other developers.

Not sure what the difference would be, actually right now there's no way to
share anything of a project except whats written into the .kdev4 file
during project creation. I'm not sure we can tackle that for 4.0, as it
might get kinda complex to do properly (we had something like that when I
started to work on kdev4 about 2 years ago and it was rather complex code
and almost non-understandable GUI behaviour).

> > but generally run-settings should be global - IMHO (think of
> > sharing executables across projects)
>
> I was thinking of having hierarchy of launch configs, where you have 'Global'
> item on the top, and can edit some properties (like default name of debugger),
> then you have global launch configs, and projects as children of that
> item. Then you can have project launch configs. Imagine you have a large project
> with many targets and the project is for ARM GNU/Linux. It would be nice to specify
> the 'arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gdb' in a single place -- not for each binary in that
> project.

So we'd have

Global
 - launchconfig1
 - launchconfig2
    - slightlydifferent for project foo
    - slightlydifferent for project bar

? With settings on each level of the tree? How do we provide different
config pages for pdb or irb (ruby/python)? What about remote vs. local gdb,
will that stay in the same configuration?

Do not overtax your powers.