Where to populate Version Control entry

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Aug 25 21:29:33 UTC 2008

On 26.08.08 00:54:43, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:
> I looked on what we have now.
> It doesn't work proper: if I have a hg repo and init git in any
> subfolder, then for subfolder items add will work with git only (and not
> with both hg/git).

This is not supposed to work. If you want to have special setups such as
this you're supposed to use the Git/Hg/Svn/Cvs/.. submenus, we obviously
need to provide the apropriate actions there too and enable/disable them
based on support inside the given directory/file.

> Also reading comment I found the thing that
> enabling/disabling will be very complicated:

Not _very_, just a bit more complicated than it is right now :)

> In DVCS add is always enabled.

Then your implementation of "add" is broken. Read the API dox of "add"
again, it clearly talks about putting the given location under version
control - not about adding them to the index file of git (in case of
git). For that you need a new action in the Git submenu.

> Also DVCS requires
> checkout/branch

That doesn't exist because so far no VCS system supported checking out a
different branch - or creating a branch.

I'm also not sure how we should handle that, for Svn and CVS you'll want
a toolview with a list of repositories and branch as well as checkout
will only work in there. And I'm tempted to handle DVCS the same way,
i.e. list the projects that are dvcs-controlled in the "repositories"
toolview and handle checkout/branching there.

The other option is to completely separate Dvcs and Cvcs.

>/Compare to Index/Compare to Commit/etc

Those two should be in the Git submenu.

> (not all implemented yet). But some stuff from VCS should be disabled.

Which?

> I can't suggest anything but to populate VCS in kdevvcscommonplugin and
> DVCS in dvcsplugin (for all 3 DVCS plugins).

Why?

Give your very best today.  Heaven knows it's little enough.