new features proposal for kdevelop4

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Sat Aug 23 08:29:05 UTC 2008

Hi Marek,

On Saturday 23 August 2008 16:23:52 Marek Jasovsky wrote:
> Hi
>
> as I have some experience with java and also c#/asp.net I have some
> ideas, that might be helpful also for kdev4. one idea I have already
> included in my reply to apaku C++ completion bug email.
> (code-completion for libraries of the project)
>
> one feature connected with that, would be ability to browse classes of
> included libraries... is this possible? (Virtual tree in classes view,
> where on top level are also libraries, not only project itself, and
> then deeper, namespaces, classes, methods, fields...)

We have a class browser but it isn't complete yet... you should be able to do
this once it is.

> another feature is also close to refactoring of the code, but it is
> something different. feature is available in AutoCode2008 plugin for
> the VisualStudio IDE, and is aimed to speed up coding itself by using
> shortcuts.
>
> writing "string Name p" and pressing Ctrl-Enter will generate (for c#)
> property and get and set methods within the property, and also local
> variable _Name. for java / c++ this could create local variable too
> and then accessor methods. (getName, setName)

Planned, I'm sure.

> there were also shortcuts to create default constructor of the class,
> and many more.  AutoCode plugin in VS has also ability to edit
> templates for these code snippets.

Planned

> another idea, that I found so far in eclipse IDE and missed in all
> other IDE's was quick (and I really mean quick) access to parent and
> child methods (derived and inherited) from particular method within a
> class.
>
> In Editor, there was a bar on left side of editing area and each
> method, that has been derived from parental class (could be also
> virtual or overriden methods in c++), or this method was base method
> for some other class, which has overriden it, there were small arrows
> pointing up and down and clicking on them navigated user to requested
> method. this was quite helpful when one needed functionality of
> parental method. addition: it might be great to allow this also for
> class libraries (when source code is available) so that we can for
> example browse code of Qt libraries if our components extend some

I'm sure David is planning this; you can already go up (iiuc) by pressing alt
+ space over a declaration and then navigating the widget.

> I will definitely need some time to explore cpp parser and also code
> model itself but I would be glad if I could implement some of those
> ideas, I pointed out here.

Start here: http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdevplatform-
apidocs/language/duchain/html/index.html

Cheers,
Hamish.