Where to populate Version Control entry

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Aug 18 10:14:14 UTC 2008

On 17.08.08 23:53:03, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:

> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to move the code that populates the "Version Control" context
> > menu from the individual vcs plugins into a more central place.
> > Unfortunately I couldn't quite figure out the apropriate place for it.
>
> I think most things are ok now. I have only one place for all our DVCS
> plugins. Nothing stops us from moving the code from CVS/SVN to
> CentralizedVCSplugin (like my DVCSplugin).

That won't work. The code for SVN and CVS is totally different and you
can't move that somewhere into the vcs library. Besides that won't help
in this case.

> Then we will need some
> interface for ctxStatus(), ctxRemove().

No way, thats private stuff of the plugins, it doesn't belong into a
public API. Thats why we have the interfaces with proper arguments to do
status, remove, add, commit and so on. Thats the public API for others
to use.

> As a result context menu extensions will be created only in two places:
> Centralized and Distribuded plugins. I think it's ok.

Better is to do it in only one place. Besides, you can't have a common
place for VCS-Specific context menus, at least not if you're going to
support everything a given VCS system supports. There are no two vcs
systems that work the same way, including the same options...

Your boss climbed the corporate ladder, wrong by wrong.