UI-less kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 17:12:12 UTC 2008

On 07.08.08 17:13:40, Aleix wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 06.08.08 21:21:39, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > > On Aug 6, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Aleix wrote:
> > > So is there a technical reason why this patch can't go in? Aleix needs
> > > this to implement Kross support for KDevelop as part of his SoC
> > > project and I don't really see any real objections.
> >
> > I'm still against the addition of addProject(). I don't see why the
> > generator shouldn't install its own buildmanager plugin if it needs
> > that. Other IDE-frameworks don't allow to create a project yourself
> > either, not even for unit-tests. You always have to go through the whole
> > loop.
>
> Because it implies that a smth.kdev4 file is needed every time you want to
> load a project be dummy or not.

Right.

> This is a problem, imho, for a flexible platform

IMHO its not. See, you're arguing for your specific use-case, but the
general idea of using the platform without ui cannot work without proper
project loading. The general case needs the loading, including sending
out all the signals and propagating the project tree. Plugins rely on
that happening.

And adding public API for one very specific use-case is simply a no-go.
Anyway, see my reply to Alexander's thread.

You definitely intend to start living sometime soon.