UI-less kdevplatform

Aleix aleixpol at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 15:23:46 UTC 2008

Well i think this has been the first constructive message in the discussion.

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Alexander Dymo <dymo at ukrpost.ua> wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 05:18:56 Aleix wrote:
> > Hi list!
> > As some of you know, these days I've been working on an application
> > using kdevplatform (more precisely the duchain).
> >
> > As you might imagine, I don't need a UI application for that, so I've
> > been playing with the shell to be able to instanciate it without
> > relying on the graphics.
>
> I think we need to find another solution to run platform app without the
> ui.
> Your implementation creates two possible cases - shell with ui and shell
> without ui. You have the hasUI() method to check for that and use it in the
> shell. But now all our code _has_ to do this check as well - all our
> plugins,
> etc have to check hasUI() before they call core()->uiController()-
> >something(). This is IMHO not acceptable.

I agree, (note: it has been changed to setupFlags, but it is the same more
or less)

The other solution would be to have a ui less shell, but I think it would be
a bit of a mess since we would need then to have the double of plugins (if i
am correct), one for each shell which is not a good idea either.

But anyway my idea was to leverage the more possible the shell when working
without UI.

> I think the easiest way would be to just run the application without
> showing
> the mainwindow.

Shouldn't this be the last chance?

Thanks,