Changes to build with CMake 2.6

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Apr 27 10:16:17 UTC 2008

On 27.04.08 11:23:32, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2008 10:26:19 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> > This problem shows up if kdelibs is built with cmake 2.4, but other
> > modules are getting built with cmake 2.6. I've posted that quite some
> > time ago already on the buildsystem list and AFAIK the conclusion was
> > that its not supported to do that.
>
> Hmm, I talked to a Debian-kde guy yesterday and he said the problem ist that
> cmake did some implicit linking which many devs got used to.
> However he also said that kde 4.0.68 depends on cmake 2.6, so I guess it is
> built with 2.6.

Then they broke something different. Anyway, building all of KDE with
cmake 2.6 works compeltely fine - using 2.6cvs here, which is rc9 right
now.

> Here i have 2.6-patch 0 RC-8.
> The concusion of the debian packagers is that they start sending patches
> upstream to link to every needed library explicitly.

The thing is that for example the language library doesn't use any
symbols from libkio, so I don't see why we would need to link against
it. Sure other libraries that libkdevplatformlanguage uses might link
against libkio, but that doesn't mean it needs to link to those too -
AFAIK.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fixing stuff, but we first need to find
out where the error comes from, because building everything from source
works just fine, so the problem might be in the packages from debian.

> On Sunday 27 April 2008 09:43:08 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Can you post the old and the new link command ?
>
> What do you mean? There's the target_link_libraries() thing in the
> CMakeList.txt file. But since this is already in the diff file, I guess you
> mean something different. :)

Alex probably means the complete output from gcc for linking.

Be free and open and breezy!  Enjoy!  Things won't get any better so
get used to it.