Automatically add project to buildset?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 25 09:37:40 UTC 2008

On 25.04.08 12:44:06, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Friday 25 April 2008 12:29:54 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 25.04.08 10:52:16, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > > I'm not sure if I like implicit behaviour. Maybe, the toolbar (currently
> > > underused), should have a combobox that used to select what to build?
> > >
> > > In fact, I'm thinking about right debugger configuration, and thinking
> > > about adding a combo to select the current debugger configuration. This
> > > mean that the toolbar might have two comboboxes:
> > >
> > > 1. What to build.
> > > 2. What to run/debug/valgrind/etc
> > >
> > > Which seems like a fairly clear approach to me.
> >
> > I could agree on the expandable toolbutton that eclipse has, as I think
> > a combobox wastes too much space.
>
> This is a matter of taste, but I think a "Build" button with dropdown list
> attached will work equally well.
>
> I'm not sure about "Run" and "Debug" -- because I prefer there to be a
> single configuration that both Run and Debug uses, and the expandable button
> does not make this link explicit.

Well, for me personally it works quite well in eclipse as both entries
have the same name I'm associating both with the same configuration. But
maybe thats because I've already seen that the dialog to configure both
is the same, just the button text says either run or debug ;)

> > On a second thought: This would only allow to build individual projects,
> > so for anything else you'd have to open the project manager again and
> > add to your buildset what you want to build. Those buildsets then might
> > also show up in the dropdown, but obviously listing all possible targets
> > is not an option...
>
> Yes. So maybe the dropdown can be initially populated with list of projects...
>
> > Maybe the dropdown should have an action that activates the buildset
> > editor, similar to the "Open Run dialog" in eclipse?
>
> ..and have an item to activate buildset editor, and as soon as you have some
> buildsets, those appear in the list as well? We can also have default buildset
> "All" that is always present in the list and builds, well, everything.

Then we could remove the Build All action completely, sounds good. I'll
note that down when I'm back home.

You will outgrow your usefulness.