Want to participate in KDevelop4 development

Mohammad Bhuyan nuxser at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 01:55:55 UTC 2007

> But we still in a need of ideas, mockups,
> etc. for such navigation mode. So it would be cool if you could help
> here.

So here goes the prelude of my participation. I guess any newcomer
like me will face this problem to figure out whats designed and how
much of it is implemented. So I though It will be cool to first
contribute towards a "UI design doc". Hence I prepared a list of UI
features that should be included (most of it already are). Once we
know the nature of the features then then one should design its
implementation (Widget look / style etc) so that the design is steered
by required features.

Though the contents are now dumped in the email, I plan to move then
to Wiki once I have some feedback. Let me know if its on the right
track.

The idea of this list is to kind of a document and re validate the
ideas of Kdevelop4 UI. To start with it (as I didn't find any doc
summarising this

information), I tried to prepare a list of standard UI Features, from
my experience with few IDEs, that would make Kdevelop4 a cool RAD IDE.

Many of these features are either already in or planned for future in
KDevewlop4. So this list also serve as an status check. One of my aim
is that this doc

will also be the Task Item and design specification for somebody who
wants to contribute.

(1) Project Manager

- File View: Tree view of the files belonging to the project

- Namespace / Class View: Treeview of NameSpace -> class -> Members

- Can we jump to the source code?

- Bookmarks: Bookmarks by the developer to jump/locate within files.

- easy/well known Key binding to mark and navigate bookmarks?

- Build Management

- Given the various type and complexity of the build method and
process, a separate UI view to deal with
  project build management.

Notes:

IDEs like VisualStudio has a nice approach of having a "Solution" to
contain/manage multiple projects. I find it very intuitive for
developers to go with the

concept of a "Solution" contains "Projects" and all of the are managed
through "Solution Explorer". What is the vision of Kdevelop4 regarding
this?

(1.*) Property View: Properties of elements (Project, File, Class, etc)

- It is closely associated with the context/selection of Project Manager.

(2) Source Editing

- Simultaneous editing of multiple source files
- Easy navigation withing source files and Namespace/Class/Function level

(3) Output

- Output from build process.
- Separate presentation of Warning, Error etc in grid/table
- Click message to jump to source location.
- Click code to jump to help file / Internet location
- sort/grouping of error/warning by type, module etc

- Project console (Note: not shell console) where events and messages
about project/s are logged while things happen through UI.
  like "Hello.c added.", "Dir added to project X", etc. This i think
can serve as visual log, history Trace, and trouble shooting tool.
  Also will be of excellent use during the development of the IDE itself.

(4) Console/Shell Access

- Konsole already integrated.

(5) Debugging:

(*) irrespective of the debugger backend, the UI will integrate the following

- Debug Output console: Assert / Debug / Trace messages during execution
- show current Scope / Context / locals
   - show threads status / call stack / memory etc.
- Watch List: Add, inspect, Remove items
- Quick watch during debugging
- Debugging console: Quick command and evaluate. Something equivalent
to Immediate window in Visual Studio

(6) DUChain

(Note) The name is a bit cryptic. Can it be better? The concept is
really cool. New to me and I am yet to understand.

More to add .. like ....

(5) Profiler

(6) Version Control

(7) Team Collaboration