Want to participate in KDevelop4 development

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Sat Sep 15 22:03:13 UTC 2007

Hi Mohammad,

On 9/7/07, Mohammad Bhuyan <nuxser at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish to participate in the Kdevelop4 development.
Welcome :)

> Though Language
> and compiler technologies have always been topics of interest to me,
> at this stage, I want to start with less complicated works which will
> get me to know the design and the code base. From the IRC
> conversations, i guess the general suggestion is to start off with
> something in UI features. I will appreciate any suggestion as to where
> I can start?

The UI for KDevelop 4 is pretty basic and does need attention. But
it's unfinished not because it's hard to code that, but because we
never found a good UI ideas that match decisions we've made.
The most important decision was tabless navigation (or navigation with
minimum amount of tabs). But we still in a need of ideas, mockups,
etc. for such navigation mode. So it would be cool if you could help
here.

> Though I have build KDE4 and KDevelop, payed with code a bit, few
> things i need to sort out are
>
> 1) What is the suggested dev environment / setup to develop Kdevelop4?
> Like, to use Kdevelo3 to develop Kdevelop4? Any other tool? etc
KDevelop 3.5 is a good choice, but you have to set it up. Please take a look at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Set_up_KDE_4_for_development

> 2) When I run Kdevelop4 in KDE3.5.7 session, it has things (menu
> options, UI area) missing than if it is run in KDE4 session. What to
> look for to start fixing?
This should be ok once you have set up everything right.