Clarification on a VCS-Iface Issue

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Sep 4 16:46:21 UTC 2007

On 04.09.07 10:32:27, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> IMO authentication is always allowed, although it would be best if the
> back-ends have some form of 'ask-once' policy, so that e.g. the first
> operation you do in a project asks for a password, and after that we
> cache the information for that repo until the platform (e.g. Quanta,
> KDevelop) is closed.

Well, IMO thats wrong. The plugin shouldn't store the authentication
information, it should use the facilities the vcs provides. So if a vcs
always asks for authentication information the plugin should do so as
well. For svn there's a "store credentials" option, which is a good
thing, because some people are not comfortable with svn storing
username+password in plain text (or you could say some are too paranoid
to allow that ;)

> If we merged things, I think an optional flag specifying the allowed
> level of interaction would be desirable. This would further allow a
> 'NoInteraction' flag where things needing authentication would fail.

I don't want to add another parameter, instead I think we should drop
those that don't make much sense. If a commit message is given that
commit message should be used, I can't imagine a use-case where a
commit-message is used but the user might want to change it.

Be free and open and breezy!  Enjoy!  Things won't get any better so
get used to it.