Clarification on a VCS-Iface Issue

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Sep 3 23:24:57 UTC 2007

Hi,

to those of you that were involved in the Vcs-Iface Design decisions
(and all others as well of course :):

Did we decide that the actions like commit, add, copy, move (the
non-Show-versions) have to work without _any_ gui at all, or are they
allowed to popup dialogs when they need input like authentication
information, or say a commit message (as import for example misses a
commit message argument)?

I'm not sure wether we discussed this at all and having had a look at
the svn plugin its clear that we need a decision. I don't think it makes
sense to restrict these actions to non-gui-mode, as then they'd have to
fail and they can't be executed without some sort of GUI running anyway.

If we decide this I'll put a clear doc about the difference between
showwXXX and XXX into the api docs. Currently I'm leaning towards
something along the lines (assuming we allow gui from XXX methods):

showXXX - allows the user to input the parameters for the action to be
executed, always shows this GUI

XXX - tries to execute the action without user-interaction, but will
create a dialog if needed for input of missing information

Never give an inch!