Debugger in 3.5.0 ...

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Oct 13 19:59:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

 again, I complain about the debugger in 3.5.0. It lost an important
functionality (or at least it seems to not work correctly): setting
breakpoints on shared library load.
 Now if you set a breakpoint in a source file which is inside a shared
library, you will get an error:

Debugger error
Debugger reported the following error:
No source file named XXX

Of course XXX does exists, so the error is missleading, but I accept
this comes from gdb. The dialog has an OK and Continue button. They do
the same (close the dialog), as the return value of the KMessageBox is
not even checked. :-0
The dialog also contains a "Do not ask again" box. (ask what? This isn't
a question, but well, warningYesNo is used...)

Once you get this error the breakpoint is REMOVED. If you ticked that
box, you won't see anything else but your breakpoints dissappear every
time you start to debug. Well, this is very annoying. If you don't
believe me, just try to debug something. Probably debugging a KDevelop
plugin would be enough.

I wanted to fix it before complaining, but this comment made me to write
the mail:
    // Gdb 6.3 and later implement so called 'pending breakpoints' that
    // solve this issue cleanly, but:
    // - This is broken for MI -break-insert command (the breakpoint is
    //   not inserted at all, and no error is produced)
    // - MI does not contains notification that pending breakpoint is
resolved.

I have gdb 6.6. So what to do now? Is there any solution, or I should
just give this up and get a KDevelop version that is not using the MI
interface for gdb?

Andras