Moving KDevelop4 from trunk/KDE/ to trunk/extragear/sdk

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Mon Oct 1 13:11:03 UTC 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007 15:48, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> I completely disagree. Being in keg hasn't been a problem for some of
> the major KDE apps, like amarok or k3b. None of them suffered from being
> in k3b and keg in KDE4 is an _official_ part of the release, we're going
> to get a KDevelop release with any KDE 4.x release we want, without any
> extra overhead, except creating a tag before the KDE4.x tagging.

Yes, but those apps are much more popular than us.

> > Ok, and how that would help us. We still won't be able to release the
> > platform as frequently as we want and we still won't be able to break KDE
> > freezes for it. And platform is not just a collection of stable
> > interfaces, it's basically our application (shell)
>
> Shoudln't shell also keep BC? So thats just part of the stable
> interfaces as well.

But plugins are not required to keep BC. Also shell and UI library are good
candidates for BC but message freeze breaking changes. So there's a high
chance of us wanting to release platform together with KDevelop.

> > and several major plugins. So IMHO we'd need to move all kdevplatform
> > + kdevelop + kdewebdev altogether from trunk/kde.
> Maybe thats even preferable, seeing that platform is still young and may
> have to mature more during the 4.x lifetime which means more releases
> that KDE does...

Andras, what would be the position of kdewebdev team then about such move?

> > PS: these all release problems are not KDevelop problems but i18n
> > infrastructure problems so instead of moving our source I think we should
> > rather focus on i18n infrastructure.
>
> No, its not just i18n problems, its also problems of having to follow a
> schedule that we might not really fit into (or don't want to follow).

Well, since 3.0 we had 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 releases in time with KDE. All them
were quite good. So once 4.0 is done we IMHO can follow KDE release schedule.