Quickopen dialog

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Oct 1 09:10:03 UTC 2007

On 01.10.07 02:14:58, David Nolden wrote:
> Hi! I'm thinking about creating a new quickopen dialog for Kdevelop-4.
>
> Since we do header-parsing by default now, we can list files, or items
> contained in files, that were included into the translation-unit represented
> by the current open document. This is especially useful when looking up
> documentation, or when working without a project at all.
> - We can show additional information embedded into the quickopen list, using
> the technology from the completion list(for this reason the quickopen widget
> should be a little bigger now).
>
> Still, since it might be confusing sometimes getting all that out-of-project
> content, I think it's useful being able to disable those items from the GUI.
>
> Also I think it would be useful if we would create only a single
> implementation of the quickopen-widget, that can choose different models
> based on a model/view approach. That way it's easy to switch between
> Files/Classes/Functions, or maybe even list them all within one list, so such
> options is are shown in the mockup.
>
> We can still provide the quickopen-function, quickopen-class, and
> quickopen-file shortcuts, by preselecting the correct item for each case.
>
> Eventually we could also hide those options between an "advanced" button that
> would make them show up, however I think this isn't needed as long as it's
> only those few options.
>
> I'm posting this to the list for discussion because Andreas has some concerns
> about having gui-items in the quickopen dialog.

:) As I agree with the conceptual stuff, I'll just comment on the
mockup:

a) I'd group the options above the list because they influence the list
and at least to me it makes more sense to have options changing the list
before the list instead of after (think of reading from top to bottom,
at least in many languages on earth).

b) Translation Unit, does fit well? Wouldn't file fit better here and be
better known to the "general audience"? IMHO its a term too close to the
theoretic part of programming languages.

Hmm, c) put a screenshot of completion widget into the empty area where
the list is ;)

> So discuss please. :)

Done.

Slow day.  Practice crawling.