KDev4 Debugger Status

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Nov 26 21:07:15 UTC 2007

On 26.11.07 20:40:13, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 26.11.07 22:55:40, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The initial port of the debugger is done, at least it compiles and loads ok.
> > There's much breakage, and people are encouraged to dive in and help - i've
> > even turned on the qt3 support warnings, so those are good places to start.
> >
> > (it can't be used at the moment, btw, before you try to use it)
> >
> > Also, I'm currently stuck on why the gui won't merge... any ideas?
>
> Currently I know this much: The gdb plugin isn't known to be an xml gui
> client of kdevelop. I'm not sure why it is that way though, especially
> as its not clear yet how the clients get hooked into the parent :(

ROFLMAO. Guess what, you created that problem in the first place :)

The problem is that the order of events in Mainwindow::initialize is
wrong. It first creates the status bar, which results in asking the
plugin controller for a plugin for IStatus, this in turn loads the
debugger plugin. And after that the mainwindow hooks itself up to the
plugincontroller signals, like pluginLoaded to call xmlgui->addClient()
when a plugin is loaded to merge its gui.

God, I can't believe it took me 2 hours to find this out. Though it
actually took me 1,8 hours to find out where XmlGuiFactory::addClient is
called in the first place :(

Solution was easy: Move the statusbar creation to the end of
MainWindow::initialize(). I also added a couple of kdebug calls, which
should help to spot such problems sooner in the future (i.e. problems in
the order of initialization of things)

Is this really happening?