[VCS] annotation widget

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Sat Nov 17 20:29:23 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 05:42:30 am Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 17.11.07 01:16:58, David Nolden wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 November 2007 01:08:38 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just implemented svn annotate in the reworked svn plugin (I didn't
> > > yet check wether dukju already had a widget for this) and I wonder
> > > wether we should try to get the kate devs to provide an API for the
> > > following:
> > >
> > > a) add a "annotation label" to the border, similar to the line numbers,
> > > in the svn-case it would carry the revison
> > > b) show an arbitrary tooltip (html-formatted probably) when hovering
> > > this annotation-label.
> > > c) eventually some way to specify a color for each label, this would be
> > > used to group labels with the same content.
> > >
> > > IMHO it would be cool if we could show the output of the VCS annotate
> > > action directly in the editor and thus remove the need for a toolview
> > > or dialog which again displays all the content from the editor and
> > > additionally the blame-info.
> > >
> > > I asked kate devs already if there maybe is such an interface, but got
> > > no reply and so before trying it again I'd like input from the other
> > > kdevelop devs.
> > >
> > > Andreas
> >
> > Isn't this nearly what the problem-reporter does in kdev3? So there might
> > be something thats nearly usable for this. :)
>
> Only nearly. The problemreporter has a relatively easy job here, because
> all it needs is a pixmap thats always the same. However for annotation
> we need to set a couple of things for every line:
>
> - background color
> - text
> - tooltip
>
> Thats the least, with background color being more or less optional
> (though that really helps when reading the annotated file).
>
> I guess we have to work with the Kate devs towards a new interface. I'll
> start this once KDE 4.0 is tagged.

For now, you can have custom background colors using the abstract highlighting
interface, and show the author names in a separate dock widget with the
corresponding color.

I've wanted to design a custom widget display api for KTE but not yet figured
out the best way to do it, maybe for 4.1.

Cheers,
Hamish.