[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Thu Nov 15 10:00:28 UTC 2007

On Wednesday November 14 2007 22:56:41 Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 22.08.17 Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 November 2007 20:03:40 Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> > > Multiline tabbars are widely regarded as Bad UI(tm). The reason is that
> > > the active tabbar needs to be at the bottom to indicated which document
> > > is actually open, which in turns leads to the requirement to _reorder_
> > > the tabbars every time you switch document.
> >
> > Because, just highlighting the active tab is forbidden?
>
> I dunno. I agree that highlighting might be better than reordering, but I
> never saw it done like that.
>
> One reason could be that the typical tabwidget indicates that one tab is
> active by making it look like it "belongs" to the document (through less
> contrast between the active tab and document than the other tabs have).
> Using tab highlighting instead would need to remove this visual cue and
> instead effectively creates what looks like buttons, with one button
> highlighted.

Here is a firefox/iceweasel plugin that does that:

http://tmp.garyr.net/

You have to change the tab option to see it in action

edit->preferences->Tabs->When tabs don't fit->Multi Row

I think that works well. It does rather look like buttoms, though rounded
rects are used to give it a slight tabby look.

> It's unpopular for a reason, and either way, using a tabwidget this way to

The unpopularity might just be fashion. Currently, too many applications gets
tabs, whether it makes any sense or not. Tabs are just the new hotness.

> effectively _force_ the user to deal with the too-many-files-open problem
> is.. the wrong solution.

I don't understand that. Can you elaborate a bit? Where is the forcing? It's
just a better way of overflowing the tab wigdet, is all.

(And imho, a vertical open-file-list would still be better)

--
regards, Esben