[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Nov 14 22:37:26 UTC 2007

On 14.11.07 22:42:06, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 21.53.18 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 14.11.07 21:39:51, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> > > What would a more predictable navigation history look like? A popup that
> > > describes what you would jump to with filenames and line numbers (like in
> > > your mockup.. (that's just the "useless" KDev3 feature bound to a
> > > shortcut) Personally, I never found it informative enough.
> >
> > Maybe you're biased because you know exactly what events add an entry to
> > the history list.
>
> Sadly, this is probably true. :(
>
> > The problem is that unless you
> >
> > a) spend an hour or so playing with the history
> > b) or know the code exactly
> >
> > you have no idea what exactly adds an entry to the history. At least I
> > didn't find a pattern that I can memorize. Thus I'm _never_ sure what
> > place I go back to when hitting the shortcut even once. And I can
> > imagine new users having the same problem.
>
> I hope that if you try it now you will find it much more predictable than it
> was pre-3.4.0.

I never tried that until after 3.4.0 was released, IIRC ;)

> I _think_ that the only navigation still not captured is kate-initiated moving
> of the cursor - so we miss out on jumps caused by using bookmarks via
> katepart (the kdevelop bookmarks plugin is supported).

So basically any navigation, except bookmarks and normal cursor
movements are tracked? Lets see if I can keep that in mind :)

> > So maybe the problem we have to solve is actually just making the
> > addition to the history more easily to follow? One idea would be having
> > a highlight set on the back-button which then fades out, everytime the
> > history is changed...
>
> Actually, that sounds both instructive and kinda cool. :) And also like
> something you would tire of quite quickly. :( As long as the non-noob can
> turn it off it wouldn't be too bad, but I hate having features that work best
> turned off. :(

I meant a rather subtle glowing effect on the button, not something like
turning it completely red. Just something that you'd notice without
really catching attention. Though I have to admit I still like my
widget, even if it just produces file:line and a preview of what the
line looks like...

Break into jail and claim police brutality.