[RFC] KDev4 Ui

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Nov 14 09:59:54 UTC 2007

On 13.11.07 22:08:51, Matt Rogers wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2007, at 7:59 PM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > as a summary and some ideas I had while I couldn't sleep the last
> > hours about the KDev4 UI.
> >
> > So we now have dockwidgets and ideal, I guess most/all of us agree
> > that
> > one of the two needs to go. Which one depends on the possibility of
> > implementing most/all of the following items.
> >

> No, actually, I think they both need to stay. But just those two. No
> more UI modes please.

That means double the work, for IMHO no gain. I mean if we can provide
drag'n'drop and multiple toolviews on the same border visible at the
same time, then we already have dockwidgets. But its dockwidgets that
auto-collapse, where the buttons take less space and scale better (the
tab texts in qt dockwidgets are just cut and the ellipsis added).

Whats your reasoning to keep the dockwidget mode? Oh and just in case I
wasn't clear: I'm not saying throwing dockwidgets out the window right
now, I'm saying to throw them away once we have a proper replacement
(i.e. at least dnd working)

It was all so different before everything changed.