[VCS] removing showXXX

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Nov 13 17:33:38 UTC 2007

Hi,

I was about to implement showDiff() for Subversion and already found it
cool to replace the current slot for the diff-context menu with just a
call to showDiff. But then I found some "questions":

a) how to show the widget
b) how's the lifespan of the job and the widget object
c) how to let the widget know about the job

Especially c) leads one directly to something like:

DiffWidget( VcsJob* job, QWidget* parent );

And when you're there, you don't actually need showDiff anymore, because
it doesn't provide anything you can't do with the
kdevplatform-diffwidget and the normal diff() call. (I know the
diffwidget doesn't exist yet).

Same problems arise for the other showXXX methods, namely log, annotate,
change, ls and cat. For all of those we will have a widget that can
display the result of the according VcsJob and thus the "extra work" to
display the result instead of doing something with it is practically
non-existent.

Also it removes some confusion from the API.

So are there any objections against removing the showXXX methods, do I
overlook anything?

Future looks spotty.  You will spill soup in late evening.