KDevelop 4 - current showstoppers

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Tue Nov 13 17:14:09 UTC 2007

Hi,

Ok, time for a status update...

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:56:09 pm Hamish Rodda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I realise that we're not releasing kdevelop 4 with kde 4.0, but I don't
> think that should stop us from trying to get it into some sort of usable
> state. There are really great things going on under the hood which I think
> will make kdevelop 4 certainly the most advanced IDE that I have ever seen
> for certain uses, but at the moment there are a few things stopping it from
> even being useful as a plain text editor (imho):
>
> 1) User Interface
> * We can't hide the dock widgets like we could in kdevelop 3.  Thus, it's
> very difficult and annoying to get a reasonably sized text editor window. *
> The dock widgets are significantly out of proportion on startup (bottom
> widget takes 3/4 of the screen).

With the new Ideal mode, this is now working.  (actions missing, but coming
shortly).

> * File modification status is not visible anywhere - it should at least be
> in the title bar and the document selector bar

Fixed

> * I couldn't get a shortcut to switch documents working.

Fixed

> * No recently opened files action (trivially fixable)

Fixed

> 2) Projects
> * Build selected project - no feedback when no project is selected

Fixed, but the outputview doesn't come to the front when you build.

> * Files aren't saved prior to building (I tried to fix this but so far I
> think it's still failing)

Fixed

> 3) Configuration
> * Shouldn't configure project be in the project menu?
> * Where did all of the options go?  I know at one point we had a config
> dialog for the c++ background parser

Reinstated.

> * Configuration of tool views is not saved.  KMainWindow can do this for us
> if we set unique object names on each tool view, and then call
> applyMainWindowSettings and setAutoSaveSettings.  However we need all
> toolviews loaded at that time, so we will probably need custom code for
> non-global tool views.

Still TODO for Ideal, and for Qt Dockwidget (harder)

... a pretty good scorecard!

Post your most hated showstoppers too, maybe we can make it to something worth
using by kde 4.0.  I've got a few more I'll dig up tomorrow...

Cheers,
Hamish.