Project Management View ideas

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Nov 8 00:06:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

so the remove-the-splitview idea was torn down with pretty good
arguments :)

Thus I'd like to present a more complete vision of how the project
management view could be in KDevelop4.

- Showing buildsystem and non-buildsystem files, that is the project
  model will get new item types for this. I'm not sure yet how to
  populate those

- Allowing to "remove" individual files/folders from project view (i.e.
  marking as ignore)?

- colorization/extra information from vcs interfaces (long term)

- Filtering out non-buildsystem and obviously also non-project files
  (distinction as explained above)

About the split-view:

- optionally show a detail view, if certain types of items are selected
  in the overview
  * if folder is selected show targetlist from folder+subfolders
  * if target is selected show filelist

The splitview could then get some special actions in it, like
adding/removing files to/from a target if a target is selected. Or
building/installing all targets that are shown if a folder is selected
(and thus all targets in it are shown). But I don't want to add anything
that will be duplicated on the toolbar.

About main menubar/toolbar: I was thinking we could do something similar
as Eclipse has for running apps. That is we have a menu item "Build..."
that opens a dialog with checkable project/targets tree hierarchy (no
deep nesting, just plain list) to select what to build. Then we'd have
both a menu item and a toolbar item "Recent Builds" which contain
something like the last 5 builds to re-run them. Same thing for install
and clean. And these are perfect candidates for the keyboard shortcuts,
so you can easily re-run the last build of your project/target
combination.

Of course the management view will also have context menu items for
things like build, install, add/remove files and so on (in the long
term), but as has been pointed out by Hamish and David thats not the
easiest way to access these things.

You're being followed.  Cut out the hanky-panky for a few days.