Making Access to project configuration threadsafe

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Wed May 30 05:01:20 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 11:54, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to ask our thread-experts for some ideas on how we could make
> accesses to the project configuration threadsafe.
>
> Currently the project configuration object can be obtained by
>
> virtual KSharedConfig::Ptr projectConfiguration() const = 0;
>
> which (afaik) isn't even safe to read from in multiple threads. We need
> to stick with KConfig* or KSharedKConfig* (or ::Ptr) because there's
> some logic involved when creating the KConfig object from our two
> project config files.
>
> One way I can see is having a static helper function that creates a
> KConfig object from two given files which can be called from any thread.
> The downside here is that plugins get access to either the (possibly
> remote) project files or temporary copies of them and they can do
> changes which would be overwritten on project closing. With a
> KSharedConfig this doesn't happen.
>
> Andreas

Is it possible for us to move on to other things instead of dwelling on
something that already works, although it's a bit slow? Speeding up the
project parsing is a noble goal to have. However, I think our efforts are
best focused on making other things work and then go back to make other
things work better.

My .02. :)
--
Matt