[KDev4] Improving mainwindow UI

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun May 27 09:53:01 UTC 2007

On 26.05.07 19:25:51, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On 5/26/07, dukju ahn <dukjuahn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1.
> > Current KDev4 mainwindow doesn't allow to hide entire docking
> > window easily -- we should close every 4 tab to remove bottom
> > docwidget. OTW, in Kdev3.4, we could lower dock window group
> > by clicking its tab only once.
> > This is necessary to acquire wide editor window.
> > But it seems that QMainwindow doesn't support that.
>
> We can do one thing with QMainWindow. We can implement "maximize" for
> central widget and for dockwidgets. This will not be equivalent to
> what we had in 3.4 but still very useful IMHO. "Maximize" for central
> widget == hide all docks and "maximize" for dock widget - make it
> central temporarily and hide all docks.

Thats something I love with eclipse, btw.

> > 2.
> > Current default mainwindow corner setting is hardcoded.
> > Left corners are occupied by left docwidget, right corners are
> > occupied by right docwidget. Hence bottom docwidget becomes
> > smaller.
> > I think there should be a setting page regarding corner occupation.
> > Or even better, we can invoke context menu and specify corner
> > occupation dynamically.
>
> I personally against UI settings at all, but we already have the UI
> settings page so you can add it there. But context menus are not
> necessary imho. The user would choose it favourite corner policy only
> once.
>
> Still, I think that UI settings as they are now have to die. We can
> still support UI settings in the config files but having a useless
> page for them is overkill.

I agree that the current settings don't have to be changeable (for those
who didn't look: use tabbed dockwidgets and use vertical title on lower
dock widgets) but the corner setting is surely something that users
should be able to change. However ideally Qt would provide some help
here by being able to choose this via drag/drop with the dockwidgets (as
other Ui's do), because I may want to have the left dockwidget cover the
whole height but extend the lower dockwidget completely to the right. (I
do use that in Eclipse)

Better hope the life-inspector doesn't come around while you have your
life in such a mess.