[KDev4] Improving mainwindow UI

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat May 26 20:33:40 UTC 2007

On 26.05.07 10:56:23, dukju ahn wrote:
> 2007/5/26, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> > On 26.05.07 09:55:46, dukju ahn wrote:
> > > 1.
> > > Current KDev4 mainwindow doesn't allow to hide entire docking
> > > window easily -- we should close every 4 tab to remove bottom
> > > docwidget. OTW, in Kdev3.4, we could lower dock window group
> > > by clicking its tab only once.
> > > This is necessary to acquire wide editor window.
> >
> > Thats not really right, to acquire a wide editor window (whoever needs
> > that, we have a policy of 76 character wide lines) you should buy a
> > larger monitor and support your countries economy with this ;)
>
> KDevelop aims general purpose IDE. It doesn't aim only KDE community.
> Also If we can hide bottom docwidget, we can acquire more _longer_
> editor window.

I was just joking (with the monitor) and I thought you brought this up
because you wanted KDevelop4 to be usable for hacking on it, thats why I
said that about the char-limit on lines.

> > > But it seems that QMainwindow doesn't support that.
> >
> > Well, I don't think Alexander will divert from QMainWindow and
> > QDockWidgets.
>
> I didn't mean that we should discard QMainWindow. I like it very much.
>
> Anyway it seems that we should wait until alexander starts it.
> I don't think I have much time to do that also.
> I'm overwhelminged by the complexity of sublime UI..

Hehe, yeap it surely does a pretty neat job (as far as I can tell), but
it certainly isn't the simplest of our libs. I recall IRC discussions
with adymo and teatime about various "puzzle's" in sublime where I
already needed 15 minutes of explaining until I understood the question
;)

Your goose is cooked.
(Your current chick is burned up too!)