[KDev4] Project parsing and loading

dukju ahn dukjuahn at gmail.com
Sat May 26 16:44:01 UTC 2007

2007/5/26, Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org>:
> On Saturday 26 May 2007 09:13, dukju ahn wrote:
> > Why ImportProjectJob which is called in KDevelop::Project::open()
> > parses _every_ contents of full project tree at openning time?
> > IMHO, it is waste because not all user doesn't develop every
> > part of one project. For example, I don't go over languages,
> > sublime, editor etc.
> >

> ImportProjectJob drives the build system manager, which means that we need to
> have every directory parsed when the project is opened.

Yes it uses IProjectFileManager::parse(). But why does this necessarily
mean that every directory should be parsed at openning? Can you
be more clear?

> > Also, was there any reason for ImportProjectJob not to use
> > QThread internally??
> >

> You want to manage that extra complexity? It's already fairly asynchronous as
> it is since it uses the KJob framework already.

Simply using KJob doesn't mean that it is asynchronous. KJob doesn't
provide asynchronous facilities automatically. Rather Kjob::start() expect
asynchronous call such as QThread::start(), KProcess::start(), or some
interprocess calling.
As a consequence of current implementation, GUI blocks when
Anyway, I think I should use QThread in importjob near future.