[KDev4] Improving mainwindow UI

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat May 26 14:19:13 UTC 2007

On 26.05.07 09:55:46, dukju ahn wrote:
> 1.
> Current KDev4 mainwindow doesn't allow to hide entire docking
> window easily -- we should close every 4 tab to remove bottom
> docwidget. OTW, in Kdev3.4, we could lower dock window group
> by clicking its tab only once.
> This is necessary to acquire wide editor window.

Thats not really right, to acquire a wide editor window (whoever needs
that, we have a policy of 76 character wide lines) you should buy a
larger monitor and support your countries economy with this ;)

> But it seems that QMainwindow doesn't support that.

Well, I don't think Alexander will divert from QMainWindow and
QDockWidgets.

> 2.
> Current default mainwindow corner setting is hardcoded.
> Left corners are occupied by left docwidget, right corners are
> occupied by right docwidget. Hence bottom docwidget becomes
> smaller.
> I think there should be a setting page regarding corner occupation.

We already have settings for the user interface, if you want to add it
please do this there.

> Or even better, we can invoke context menu and specify corner
> occupation dynamically.

I let Alexander comment on this.

> Are there anyone who object these idea? What is the current
> plan regarding the UI?

We will have multiple perspectives, for example .ui files will by
default be opened in a new main window with only the designer
dockwidgets in that window. We already can clone a mainwindow right now.
Alexander doesn't have time at the moment to work on this but the whole
Ui-lib and Mainwindow stuff is his domain basically (he will thankfully
accept any help) so he has to give you the details. He is expecting to
have more time during and after akademy.

Look afar and see the end from the beginning.