kdevelop in KDE4 status

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun May 20 15:10:26 UTC 2007

On 20.05.07 15:34:38, Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> I was browsing the sites about KDE4 and KDevelop and couldn't get a
> clear perception of whether KDevelop 4 is released in any usable
> state.
>
> I am particularly wondering if a usable KDevelop 4 will be installed
> if I simply use the kdesvn-build script set up for KDE4.

No and neither will a usable KDE4 desktop be installed. Wait until the
KDE 4.0 release or at least a release candidate is released to get the
desktop. For KDevelop you have to wait some time longer. Its currently
kind of a shell around kate+projectmanagement. But its unstable and not
expected to be usable for development.

> And by usable I mean that I can edit source files and launch make from
> an action in kdevelop, and maybe use designer, yours that of Qt. (I
> have no idea if you are extending their version this time too) I don't
> really need fancy features like autmake manager or cmake manager or
> whatever it might be called.

Well, opening source code works and editing is part of Kate not
KDevelop. I don't know how well the custom makefile manager works, the
others are mostly unusable. Running make on the currently selected
project works too but I don't know if it works more than once.

Why don't you use KDevelop3 for developing your application? That one
has far more support for C++ especially things like code navigation and
completion and is much more mature.

You are deeply attached to your friends and acquaintances.