About IBranchingVC...

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 18 21:35:21 UTC 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 18.05.07 15:55:37, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> Hmm, I'm convinced :) Lets see if Matt has more things to say, else I
>>> think we've got branch + tag (with the mentioned changes to VcsMapping)
>>> done in terms of specifying the iface methods.
>> To confirm, branch() *and* tag()? Or just showTag()? I think tag() is OK
>> with the same interface as branch() but wasn't going to push it if you
>> disagreed.
>
> branch() + tag()

Ok, will commit Monday if Matt has no further comments (or possibly
tonight if we here from him and he's OK with what we currently have).

Anyway, here is my current version of branch(), doc and all (only the
doc should be "new" from a few posts back). showBranch() just changes
the first doc line (and name, of course), tag() and showTag() are
basically just s/branch/tag/.

     /**
      * Creates a branch from the given mapping information
      *
      * @param mapping List of source/destination pairs of repository
      * paths specifying what should end up where. Some VCS's may not
      * support destination paths and will ignore them. The source paths
      * always specify what is to be branched.
      * @param rev What revision of the requested items should be
      * branched.
      * @param branchName Short, descriptive name for the branch used for
      * VCS's that take branch names instead of destination paths, or
      * store metadata about the branch. Not all VCS's will use this
      * parameter.
      */
     virtual VcsJob branch( const QString& commitMessage,
                            const VcsMapping& mapping,
                            const VcsRevision& rev,
                            const QString& branchName ) = 0;

The "metadata" comment is addressing perforce specifically which I
assume will create/replace a "branch object"* when branch() is used.

(* basically it's just a server-side persistent copy of the mapping.)

> (and the show-versions too, of course).

Naturally. :-)

--
Matthew