[RFC] Context-Menu Handling in KDevelop4

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed May 9 12:51:09 UTC 2007

On 09.05.07 13:05:11, David Nolden wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2007 12:29:35 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Then for now just lets ignore this. The algorithm that will create the
> > menu will not be subject to binary compatibility issues at all so we can
> > always change it later on...
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Ok then if the sub-menu Idea wasn't accepted, how do you(thereby I mean all
> who didn't like the dynamic Idea) want to address these problems?
>
> 1. The KDevelop-3 editor-context-menu is far too long
> 2. It mainly contains entries that I never use, and partially that I don't
> even want there

Remove that stuff, for example the editor-things in there are not
needed, IMHO (cut,copy,paste at least). Bookmarks, does anybody need the
bookmark stuff in the context menu when we have a editor-sidebar to add
a bookmark? I don't think so. Undo/Redo don't belong there either.

And many of the others will be in submenu. Currently I think we'll end
up with the same amount of items as I have now (about 20) with all
features of KDev4. We just need to really think about what makes sense
to have in the context menu and not just sutff things in there.

> It is especially important because the count of potential context-menu entries
> will become even bigger in kdevelop-4, just think of teamwork, the
> baskets/file-sets, hopefully refactoring, etc.

All in separate submenus.

Another good night not to sleep in a eucalyptus tree.