[RFC] Context-Menu Handling in KDevelop4

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Tue May 8 11:34:43 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 12:04:37 Jens Herden wrote:
> > I'm not sure yet how to trigger this, but ideally I'd like to get a
> > QList<QAction*> from each plugin and eventually a QString. Then the
> > context menu will have an entry with the QString that has as a submenu
> > the list of actions.
>
> Please consider the situation when you want only one action added to the
> menu. In this case it would be not nice to create a submenu with exactly
> one action.
>
> Jens

It would be nice if the context-menu could(at least optionally) be build
dynamically, considering what action-groups are used most often.

I think too that the kdevelop-3 context-menu is very bloated, it's very long,
and I haven't ever touched 90% of the entries.

Andreas's aproach with a QString and QAction should be quite suitable for
this: The shell could automatically keep track of when what QAction has been
triggered by connecting to the QAction's signals, and then use that
statistical data to build a structure, where all groups could be put into
sub-menus, and the most popular groups(for me it would probably be the
navigation-menu) could additionally be shown in a consistent order at the top
of the context-menu.

That way everyone could easily access the entries he uses most, while still
being able to access the other ones.

greetings, David