[RFC] Context-Menu Handling in KDevelop4

Jens Herden jens at kdewebdev.org
Tue May 8 10:45:53 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 08.05.07 12:04:37, Jens Herden wrote:
> > > I'm not sure yet how to trigger this, but ideally I'd like to get a
> > > QList<QAction*> from each plugin and eventually a QString. Then the
> > > context menu will have an entry with the QString that has as a submenu
> > > the list of actions.
> >
> > Please consider the situation when you want only one action added to the
> > menu. In this case it would be not nice to create a submenu with exactly
> > one action.
>
> Well, the problem with that approach is that the context menu can be
> easily cluttered. I remember the KDev3 context menu for Editor context
> was more than 2/3 the height of my 1050 notebook display.

I don't understand this. How is the menu less cluttered if I add a submenu
with _one_ entry? You would have the same amount of lines in the menu if you
would pull the submenu entry up into the top level, wouldn't you?

> So I'm not sure always putting 1-entry-list directly in the menu is that
> much of a good idea.

I think you misunderstand me here. I don't say it has to be mandatory to put a
one-entry list directly in the submenu. I only want to have an option to
choose, like if you provide an empty QString or so.

Jens