UI-Idea for KDev4: Working-File-Baskets

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu May 3 15:17:57 UTC 2007

On Thursday 03 May 2007 16:32:10 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Let's call it "[working] change sets". :-) Some VCS's (e.g. perforce)
> support this natively. I already suggested doing it as a generic
> interface and adding support to it for other VCS's (e.g. subversion).
>
> The best thing to do would be to look at the interfaces Andreas posted
> in "VCS Interface classes" and write up IWorkingSetVersionControl along
> similar lines. I'll be happy to help iron out what it needs to look like
> to be perforce-compatible (which it definitely should be!). We'll then
> need a generic implementation for use by subversion and other VCS's that
> don't have native support for change sets.

"Working change set" is imo not generic enough, first I thought about it
as "working-file-sets" too, but then I thought it would be cool making it
even more generic, so in the end you could optionally drop in there
web-links, code-model-items, etc.. if the basket allows for it. You could
call a specific basket "working change set" that comes from VCS, while
another would would be the files of a file-collaboration session(files that
you can edit together with others in realtime), and another could simply be a
set of files that user user has dropped in there to keep overview.

Every plugin that likes to could use the baskets user-interface to let the
user manage an arbitrary set of files or items, and do with them whatever the
plugin wants them to do.

> > -- Version-control:
> > In the simplest case, baskets could be used to select all files you want
> > to commit. Simply drag those files into the basket, and then commit the
> > basket.
>
> Actually, you would right-click the basket and pick 'commit'. :-)

That's what I ment :-)

> > You could
> > remove single files out of the basket that you do not want to commit, and
> > then commit the basket.
>
> I want to make it possible for showCommit() to do this anyway; when you
> go to commit, you get a list of files to commit and you can unselect
> ones that should not be committed.
>
> > Sorry for the long text, but what do you all think about the Idea?
>
> I think you need to help convince Andreas. :-)

Yep, probably :)

greetings, David