Getting the current active project

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 13:05:33 UTC 2007

On Saturday 31 March 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 31.03.07 13:42:06, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  At this moment it is not possible to find out what is the active
> > project inside KDevelop. In Quanta we need to know the current
> > project in the following places:
> >
> > - monitoring all opened project folders and notifying the user if
> > there was a change there. Problem: how will this work with remote
> > projects?
>
> I don't think we support remote projects, atm.

We should. This was discussed before and we all agreed that we should
make the platform use only KUrl's and thus support remote projects.

> > - iterate over all the projects and do the check for each and
> > everyone. Problem: slower, more compilcated code.
>
> Well, iterating over a list isn't that slow, especially as the list
> of opened projects shouldn't be _that_ large (I think less than 20
> projects is sane to anticipate). And the complicated code would be
> inside projectcontroller and it will exist anyway because we need a
> way to find the project or projectitem for a given url.

Ok, so this part can be solved with iteration.

> > Thereby I request to introduce back the notion of the current
> > project in the KDevelop platform.
>
> What happens if your user actions or the other stuff doesn't get a
> project?

It will limit the user, so he cannot run scripts that work on the active
project, only on the active document (and probably the folder where the
document lies).

> For example currently if the first project is opened the
> currentProject is not yet set, its connected to the currentChanged
> signal of the treeview. Thus currentProject() would return a
> 0-pointer. While this can be "worked around" by automatically
> activating the first opened project, this won't work for closing
> projects.

You mean what will happen if no project is opened? That's not a problem,
as in that case the path given to the script will be the path of the
active document. This workes (and worked) fine.

> Then again there's no "current item" in the treeview and I
> don't think its sane to just select the top-most project in the
> treeview...

Sorry, what treeview is this?

Andras