[RFC] KDevelop configuration setup

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Mar 30 22:10:05 UTC 2007

On 27.03.07 12:09:48, Matt Rogers wrote:
> The project specific configuration returned by IProject should be the
> local file. As mentioned on the wiki, there should be little to add
> to the global project configuration file after the project is
> created. If something in the global file needs to be changed, then we
> should provide separate ways to do that, IMHO.

One question still: Should the project configurations of the "other
developers" be changed accordingly? That would create quite some
complexity in the whole logic.

In case I'm unclear: Lets say we have a project P, with the following
project config file

ProjectName=P
ProjectManager=KDevQMakeManager
IndenationConfig=CStyle

Now Developer A and Developer B are checking out the project from vcs
and opening it, this created <projectdir>/.kdev4/<projectname>.kdev4
with the values from above. No both can change any of the settings and
saving would save the in the hidden file.

Lets say "the Boss" decides they should use IndenationConfig=OtherStyle
and changes the P.kdev4 file. Both developers checkout the new file, but
currently their local hidden file takes precedence. They'd need to go to
the configuration dialog and select "Use defaults" for the indentation
widget.

Changing this to something like: When the project.kdev4 changed, write
the new values to .kdev4/project.kdev4 regardless of the content there.
However this would imply that for each property in the .kdev4 file we
also store a version information, so we don't reset settings in the
hidden file that weren't changed since the start of the project. And
this is too complicated IMHO. OTOH its bad that the developers settings
can't be overriden by "the Boss".

You will become rich and famous unless you don't.