[KDev4] vcs integration - KUrl of a file is not enough to know the file's project!

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Thu Mar 29 14:54:53 UTC 2007

> > > from the

> > > I didn't yet look at the API but you are absolutely correct. In fact I
> > > think we should discuss wether we want both, i.e. KUrl +
> > > ProjectBaseItem*. I'm not sure we need KUrl, so I'd like to see
> > > people's opinions on that part, are there any use cases anybody can
> > > think of?
> >
> > One thing just came to my mind.
> > Let's assume, that somebody has files in his projectdirectory that are
> > not known by the project-manager but still should go into CVS. Maybe a
> > README, additional scripts or something like that. Such files don't show
> > up in the project-manager and there also is no ProjectItem object for
> > them, correct? How can we pass them to the CVS plugin then?
>
> Well, easily: Just ask the projectcontroller for the project that
> contains this file.

That's a no-go with aegis :(

All aegis changes share upstream files, which are read-only. So if you have
several aegis-based projects, they will share the files that are not in the
changes that you work on. I.e. all branch and project baselines are common to
the changes.

E.g. I have to changes that I'm working on:
~/fooproject.2.1.C010
and
~/fooproject.2.1.C011

If I need to open file called "relative/blah.c", it may be in
/devel/fooproject/branch.2/baseline/relative/blah.c, for both changes
(projects).

It's fairly common to work on several changes on the same project at the same
time.

Say, for new feature development, you may have one change where you code
things and play, and the others are replicated and cleaned up to finalize the
chunks that you are happy with. Alternatively, if you are fixing bugs, you'd
keep stuff within the bugfix change without replicating it from another
change, yet you may still switch between a couple of changes if you get
stumped in one and have an idea about the other(s). Just some real-life
examples.

Cheers, Kuba