[KDev4] vcs integration

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Mar 27 13:17:18 UTC 2007

> It is dangerous if filemanager/projectmanager are directly linked to VCS.
>
> For instance, some people may want to add files just to project,
> but not to VCS.
> If whenever we add files to project, VCS plugins will be always
> automatically invoked.
> Usually, people frequently change working copy.
> But it is only the final, and one time, step to add files to VCS.

If your working copy is wholly managed by the SCS, like in aegis, then you
actually can't/mustn't modify it by hand. So, as I'll hopefully develop an
aegis plugin, it's a *necessity* for the file manager to be using aegis.

When working with aegis, everything in the working copy: creating it,
adding/moving/removing/copying files, generating diffs, changesets (to mail
to someone else) or even plain old .patch files is handled by aegis. If you
add a file by hand and everything else (the build system interfacing with
aegis, for one) is configured properly, a file created by hand will be
promptly ignored. It will also be wiped out whenever you do aeclean, which is
harmless for properly managed files and you would invoke it whenever you grow
tired of unnecessary backup~ files etc (when vi is your "IDE").

So I'd tend to think that other VCS's use a broken paradigm, but Kdevelop is
just fine and will make aegis happy in that respect :)

Cheers, Kuba