VPATH support for projects

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Mar 23 13:56:32 UTC 2007

On 23.03.07 09:10:29, Kuba Ober wrote:
> Aegis is a software configuration management system. The way it handles
> branching and changes is to only have changed files in a branch/change. To
> find a file, you have to look in your change, if not there look in all the
> branches up along the way to the baseline, then look in the baseline.
> I was wondering whether someone would have a big urge to implement this for
> kdevelop 4, and if not where to start looking in the code? I'd imagine that
> VPATH would be a global project property, and basically ignored if empty, and
> used if not-empty.

Can one use any buildsystem on top of aegis-managed projects? Or does
aegis provide itself a buildsystem?

>From your description I'd say you should write a plugin that implements
IProjectFileManager, which deals with finding files. If you can use
different buildsystems on top of aegis, thats a good thing. Because its
a use-case for something I was thinking about lately: Split
filemanager+buildsystemmanager into 2 separate interfaces. If aegis is
itself a buildsystem too, then thats no problem either, just implement
the IBuildSystemManager instead. There you won't need any VPATH, as you
can just assume that aegis exists and can use its facilities to find the
files.

You have the body of a 19 year old.  Please return it before it gets wrinkled.