[KDev4] VCS Integration

Kris Wong wongk at seapine.com
Thu Mar 15 14:08:15 UTC 2007

> The library is pretty much "on its own" in the kdesvn source, i.e. its
> not a large problem to extract it (tried it, was a matter of minutes,
> except that I needed some kde4-libs cmake stuff to "fix" the missing
> cmake code for finding the library dir). So I think we should talk to
> the maintainer how much time he has and wether he'd like to move the
> library out of kdesvn and release it separately (because for kdevelop
> its probably better to depend on a lib than on a whole application,
even
> though some distros package the library separately).

Since kdesvn is not actually a part of KDE, and this library (if it were
broken out, which would take some convincing) would only be installed
with kdesvn, you would essentially be dependent on kdesvn.  Personally,
I don't think this would be the right way to go.  Especially given how
often we've recommended that users build out of svn lately on IRC.

> I looked at the api docs earlier today and the first problem I had was
> that I didn't find a listing of functions, only modules and datatypes.
> And the modules didn't contain anything that is related to the
> client-part of the svn library AFAICS. I found the client functions
then
> when browsing through the list of header files, so thats the first
> problem for new developers/people providing patches/...

Yes, the documentation is weak.  It wasn't much help when we were
writing our integration.  We found using the command line client as a
reference was much more useful.  This is mostly because the subversion
"API" isn't really an API, persay.  They just happened to break most of
the functionality out into separate libraries.

IMHO, it looks like using client libraries directly is really the right
way to go.

Kris Wong