[KDev4] VCS Integration

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Mar 13 19:09:50 UTC 2007

On 13.03.07 12:58:55, Kuba Ober wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > A quick thought brings up the following actions:
> >
> > import (into repository)
> > chechkout
> > update
> > commit
> > diff
> > log
>
> What would all those do? What's an "import"? Is this adding a file to a
> change? Then checkout -- is it for whole tree, or for a single file? What
> does an update do?

import == bring a newly created project into a source code repository
checkout == retrieve a project from a source code repository and import
            it into kdevelop
update == sync your local copy with the source code repository
commit == bring local changes into the source code repository
diff == see the difference between your local copy and the latest
        version in the repository
log == see a history of changes in the repository.

> Aegis, a nice software configuration systen, works on whole trees, i.e. you
> check out a read-only tree (a change), which has no writable files, and only
> symlinks, hardlinks/copies or even no links at all to the read-only baseline.
>
> In the tree that you checked out you can copy individual files to be
> read-write, and work on them. Depending on the build tool, you need symlinks,
> hardlinks/copies, or you may live without links at all.

Sorry, I don't follow you here. Could you give an example session? Or
have a link to some introductory material?

I have to admit that I don't know all scm's out there, I basically have
experience with those that use the checkout-work-checkin cycle (namely
cvs, svn and a bit clearcase)

You plan things that you do not even attempt because of your extreme caution.