[KDev4] VCS Integration

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 17:01:24 UTC 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 3:34 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> On 13.03.07 08:52:15, Robert Gruber wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> As I've seen from the recent posts to the mailinglist, dukju ahn
>> is already
>> working on bringing SVN support to KDevelop4, aren't you?
>>
>> Is anybody working on the CVS integration? If not, I could take
>> that task.
>>
>> However, to me, there are still some important questions to solve?
>> Has there been any decicion on how to integrate version controll
>> systems?
>
> No, I have a few things in my mind but nothing thought out yet...

Same here.

>> Maybe like in KDevelop3 where each plugin has been able to add
>> items to a
>> context menu? This method was very easy to use for the VCS plugin,
>> as it
>> alredy got a list of files to work on from the Context object.
>
> Well, context menu will happen one way or another. More important is
> that we define a minimal extension interface that every VCS can
> implement. A quick thought brings up the following actions:
>
> import (into repository)
> chechkout
> update
> commit
> diff
> log
>
> Then we need to have slots for file/dir renaming which we can
> connect to
> the project manager's signals.

We need more discussion about we actually want all the SCM plugins to
do.

>> I've also heard the idea of using an action-collection (or so)
>> where VCS
>> plugins could register their actions? How could the transfer of
>> the needed
>> filelist work here?
>
> Well, actions should probably be available for the checkout from
> repository. Also I think some actions for viewing the currently
> focussed
> file's diff to repository and its log should exist.
>
> Hope that helps for starters, as Alexander already said in another
> thread there's no decision been made about how context menu's will
> work
> in 4.0. I myself don't even know the pros/cons. I'll try to discuss
> this
> with Alexander on Wednesday evening on IRC to get an initial proposal
> for the list.
>
> Andreas

How about we have that discussion on the mailing list instead. I have
chosen to no longer participate on IRC because I can never get any
other work done that way. Using email may be slower, but it is wider
reaching, and the archives are searchable, where as the IRC logs are
not.
--
Matt