KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu Jun 28 19:25:23 UTC 2007

On Thursday 28 June 2007 04:44:33 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> * advanced projects
>
> The user is a developer, he is able to write programs in C or C++, so if he
> wants to write software which is portable to other systems he really should
> be able to learn cmake. Don't hide it from the developer.
> Now in current cmake cvs adding generators for makefile based projects has
> become easier. Let's add a KDevelop4 generator which gives kdevelop all the
> information it needs.
> This will have the HUGE advantage that it will work with every new features
> introduced in cmake, kdevelop will simply not have to play catchup all the
> time just to maintain a somewhat working state.
>
> The developer will have to know cmake. This is ok.
> If he wants to write portable software, he HAS to care about build issues.
> Otherwise it simply will not work.

We hopefully will have a good-working custom-makefile part. So if you really
want to write all CMakeLists.txt by your own, as you propose for
the "advances projects", it wouldn't be a big difference just using it as
a "custom makefiles"-project within kdevelop, would it?

The include-path resolver can already now get include-paths from
cmake-generated makefiles, so everything should work acceptably for such a
constellation.

If matt would implement a "cmake language-part" you'd even get autocompletion
for CMakeLists.txt in such a case, so you would have everything you wish for!

greetings, David